Video – Who’s Not at the Table
You can’t lead effectively on an adaptive challenge unless you can mobilize all the factions involved. Use this video to encourage people to identify all the relevant stakeholders.
In this two-and-a-half-minute video, the KLC team defines the term “factions” as “groups of people who have some things in common related to the challenge at hand.” Use it with your classroom or team to introduce key ideas related to the leadership competency Energizing Others, including:
- Leadership requires us to work with people who think differently than we do.
- Different factions have different values and potential losses related to a leadership challenge.
- Don’t forget to engage “unusual voices,” the people who wouldn’t typically come to the table.
- Energizing people around your issue means taking the time to understand what’s at stake for them.
This video is a great setup for stakeholder mapping. If you are the facilitator, keep asking questions such as:
- Who’s not at the table?
- Whose point of view is missing?
- Who stands to lose if we are successful?
- Whose help do we need?
Remind people that leadership is mobilizing people to do difficult work – and with adaptive challenges, that always means working across factions.
The video runs 2:33 minutes and features KLC CEO Ed O’Malley with Jan Davis and Shaun Rojas. Use it on its own or assign pages 42-49 in Your Leadership Edge: Identify Who Needs to Do the Work.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR KANSAS TAX EXEMPT ORGANIZATIONS
Email a copy of your Sales and Use Tax Entity Exemption Certificate to [email protected]. Thane will set up an account for you with your email. He will let you know this has happened with a confirmation email from our office with your new account password. When you go to checkout in the KLC Store, you will see a message “Returning Customer? Click here to log in.” Click to open, then fill in the two blanks (your email and password Thane sends). Then click ‘remember me.’ Organizations outside of Kansas are not charged sales tax.
If you need to purchase with a Purchase Order, please order at www.watermarkbooks.com.