Grant Purpose and Outcomes
A nonprofit organization founded by the Kansas Health Foundation, the Kansas Leadership Center (KLC) provides training to foster leadership for stronger, healthier and more prosperous Kansas communities. Through the Leadership Transformation Grant, KLC partners with organizations to help them create a culture of leadership that embraces change, tackles problems and seizes opportunities. We are looking for partners across the state to saturate their organization with our proven framework in order to make lasting progress on their biggest challenges.
KLC’s own research center indicates that leadership development at all levels of an organization leads to a more engaged workforce in the non-profit sector, with employees more committed, more hopeful for the future, and more satisfied with their job. Among high-tech employees, it yields an adaptive mindset, collaborative problem-solving, and better listening and communication. And ORS Impact, funded by a third party, interviewed over 50 of KLC’s past grantees to learn the effect of leadership training on an organization. The research indicates a strong link between increasing leadership behaviors among employees, positive change to culture and greater progress on key challenges facing the organization.
To deliver these outcomes, we’ve developed a simple yet powerful framework. It starts with the idea that leadership is an activity, not a position, and that anyone can lead, anytime, anywhere. We offer a three-step sequence of dynamic program experiences—The KLC Path—taught by an inspiring and diverse team of teachers and coaches. By speaking to the head, heart and gut, our training shifts perspectives and empowers participants to put what they’ve learned to use immediately. The results drive lasting behavior change, with the power to mobilize an entire organization to own its challenges and seize opportunities to make more progress on what matters the most.
Leadership Transformation Grants—Overview
Watch this video to learn why leadership is the answer to the challenges your organization or community is facing.
How the Grant Works
Organizations who receive the grant will have one year to fill their slots by attending programs on the KLC Path: Your Leadership Edge, Lead for Change and Equip to Lead; participants who speak Spanish are also able to participate in Avanzando Juntos. Programs must be attended in consecutive order and organizations are responsible for participant recruitment. With multiple offerings throughout the year, participants are free to choose when to attend their next program in the KLC Path. To accommodate our partners, we will host both in-person and virtual programs throughout 2022, with an additional virtual Your Leadership Edge course offered in the evening. Dates for in-person Your Leadership Edge programs in Wichita and the Kansas City area will be announced in late October.
Each partner organization will establish a Core Team to take on the responsibilities of the grant. This team needs to be identified on the grant application and will be critical to the success and implementation of the grant. This Core Team, of 3-6 individuals, are responsible for:
- Attending KLC events and programs.
- Recruiting and supporting participants.
- Participating in regular evaluation efforts.
- Utilizing KLC resources and consultation.
Any organization from Kansas can apply, but we imagine the following types of organizations best suited for the grant:
- Business Sector: Rotary clubs, chambers, young professional groups, civic clubs, business associations
- Education Sector: school districts, higher level institutions, school support organizations, educational networks
- Faith Sector: churches, Islamic societies, temples, district level entities, collaborative faith alliances
- Government Sector: city, county, state government agencies
- Nonprofit Sector: community foundations, health organizations, social advocacy and arts organizations
Learn about our recent grant partners
How to Apply
- Download and review the Call for Applications document.
- Download and consider the Application questions with your team.
- Download and complete the Participant Calculation Worksheet to estimate the number of program spots your organization could benefit from in 2022.
- Collect a Letter of Support from someone of senior authority within your organization.
- Complete the Application Form and submit with Letter of Support by September 12, 2021. (Click the button below to begin application).
KLC will select applicants and announce decisions by October 20. Core Team members of grant recipients will attend a virtual Strategy Workshop in early November.