Video – Raising the Heat
Provoke discussion and learning about getting into the productive zone with this fast-paced three-minute video.
Adaptive challenges are a bumpy ride for everyone involved. Leadership means navigating conflict, frustration, panic, confusion, disorientation, fear and loss. It means intervening skillfully to engage all the factions, bring conflict into the open and make sure real work is happening.
Use this video to generate learning about how and when to raise the heat. Get people talking about times they’ve experienced the productive zone of work.
Let the KLC team challenge your group to:
- Intervene to get the heat just right for change to happen.
- Create environments where people are willing to address conflict.
- Bring discomfort to the surface so that people feel compelled to act.
- Exercise leadership with their “hand on the thermostat.”
Watch the video with your team or in your leadership program. Then facilitate conversation using the following prompts:
- How do we know when we are in the “productive zone?”
- What do you see (or experience) when the heat is too low?
- What do you see (or experience) when the heat is too high?
- From your experience, what does it mean to “have your hand on the thermostat?”
- When have you purposefully and successfully raised the heat?
The video runs 2:38 minutes and features KLC CEO Ed O’Malley with Your Leadership Edge co-author Amanda Cebula and Shaun Rojas. Use it on its own or assign pages 156-161 in Your Leadership Edge: Raise the Heat.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR TAX EXEMPT ORGANIZATIONS
Email a copy of your tax exemption certificate to [email protected]. Thane will set up an account for you with your email. He will let you know this has happened with a confirmation email from our office with your new account password. When you go to checkout in the KLC Store, you will see a message “Returning Customer? Click here to log in.” Click to open, then fill in the two blanks (your email and password Thane sends). Then click ‘remember me.’