In an effort to encourage Hutchinson residents to continue their holiday shopping and support local businesses safely, the Downtown Coalition is working with businesses to install “Santa-tizing” stations in the downtown shopping district. These stations will include hand sanitizer and free masks as a fun, festive way to encourage holiday shoppers to wear their masks and stay safe.
“The Downtown Coalition really came together and brainstormed some creative ways to address the competing values of keeping employees and customers safe while encouraging shopping local this holiday season. I cannot wait to see the ‘Santa-tizing’ stations pop up in front of local businesses soon.”
– Jackson Swearer, Facilitator
More Community Action Plans
Here’s what else is new in grassroots efforts to slow the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic in Kansas.
- Topeka Episcopalians: Create a “love your neighbor” campaign with yard signs and a custom profile picture frame on Facebook to share a message of love and support for each other.
- KC United! Youth Sports & Education Initiative: Purchase air purifiers, gloves, hand sanitizer, disinfectant and face shields for Kansas City community members.
- W Team Leaders: Partner with a local brewery in Wichita to provide small bottles of hand sanitizer for businesses to pass out to customers and encourage people to take safety precautions seriously.
- Douglas County Community Foundation: Write COVID 19 The Musical; Prevention = Freedom. This short music video will use humor to entertain and encourage healthy behaviors.
- North Village: Use Jefferson County text messaging system along with postcards to inform people of delivery services for groceries and medicines.
- Breakthrough Ministries Inc.: Put together quarantine support bags, informational PSA and create a virtual “Holiday Jingle Mingle” for Wichita residents.
By the Numbers
Action Plans Created: 209
Action Plans Pending: 354
Learn more about Kansas Beats the Virus and other action plans groups are developing.